Heavy Combination - TLILIC3017B
A heavy combination (HC) licence allows you to drive any prime mover with a single trailer or a rigid vehicle towing a trailer with a GVM of greater than 9 tonnes. Automatic/synchromesh and unrestricted/constant mesh endorsements apply. This course runs over two days depending upon choice of endorsement. Should you choose to use our truck for your training and assessment, you will have an open licence. If you choose to use your own vehicle with an automatic/synchromesh gearbox, then you will receive a licence with an automatic endorsement (condition B), which can later be removed with further training and assesment.
- An Australian driver's licence (class MR or HR) for at least 1 year. P2 licence holders cannot upgrade to this class.
- Pass the combination knowledge test at the RMS. See practice test questions here.
Obtain a Competency Based Assessment (CBA) learner's logbook and a Heavy Vehicle Guidebook from the RMS.
- Pre operational checks
- Cabin Drill
- Start, move off, shut down and secure
- Manages steering
- Manages gears (if applicable)
- Manages brakes
- Manages accelerator
- Create and maintain crash avoidance space
- Protect crash avoidance space
- Road rules and compliance
- Hill start/stop
- Load securing
- Bus stop procedure (if applicable)
Upon successful completion of this course you will then undertake a 1 hour final competency assessment with an independent assessor. All this is organised by us and included in your fee. Then you will receive a nationally recognised Certificate of Competency. Take this form to the Roads and Maritime Service / Service NSW and they will upgrade your licence.
Below is the Dootson School of Trucking youtube page regarding double clutching while gear changing when using a crash box or RoadRanger gearbox.
Heavy Combination License